Re: CRIME David L. Smith gets 20 months for Melissa

From: Seth Arnold (sarnold@private)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 17:11:19 PDT

    On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 02:35:16PM -0700, Todd Ellner wrote:
    > http://www.theregus.com/content/56/24832.html
    >
    > The author of the Melissa virus was sentenced today.

    <Trying to start flamewar>
    I wonder how large the fine will be for Microsoft, since essentially
    identical virii have been released under the names I Love You,
    Kournikova, Happy 99...

    Of course, Nimda and Code Red just demonstrate that Microsoft web
    servers are no better than their mail clients..

    How long until state attorneys general begin to draw comparisons with
    the tobacco industry? Or some enterprising chap decides to show that
    Microsoft has circumvented Access Controls Mechanisms by denying service
    to legitimate users? (Of course, a chap such as Larry Ellison might have
    more luck than a chap such as your's truly. :)
    </Trying to start flamewar>

    *sigh*

    --
    http://immunix.org/