Re: CRIME Korean spam & Klez

From: Seth Arnold (sarnold@private)
Date: Tue May 21 2002 - 19:12:39 PDT

    On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 05:48:44PM -0700, Heidi Henry wrote:

    [Heidi, your emails would be easier to read if you wrapped your lines at
    72 characters. Thanks.]

    > I know of several people who have been having a big problem with
    > receiving Korean Spam e-mails.  One in particular, receives eight plus
    > Korean spam mails per day.  This has greatly disrupted their business.

    Yeah; I'm surprised there are so few anti-spam laws on the books to
    protect email in the same way facsimile and cellular phones are
    protected.

    Until we have some method of enforcing legal restraint, one is left
    using the various RBLs and filters. Spamassassin good. Using an RBL or
    two at the incoming email server is good too.

    > As this is greatly disrupting businesses, both by the Korean spam
    > e-mails and the Klez virus, what is the best method for removing the
    > virus, formatting their hard drives on the personal PCs?  What about
    > on the network drives?

    I'm not sure about removing klez. Of course a format will do the job,
    but it can be a bit drastic. Perhaps the lesson to learn once it _is_
    removed is that there are mail clients that are more resistent to virii
    than outlook or outlook express. Many of us used some of them for years.
    :) Pegasus, Eudora, Netscape Communicator, maybe Opera has one now, I
    don't know.. But I think people should have learned by now that some
    mail clients should be avoided -- if for no other reason than their
    significant financial costs once every four months.

    Cheers

    --
    http://sardonix.org/