RE: CRIME postings/e-mail from Heidi Henry -mcps@private

From: Michele Marzocco (michelem@private)
Date: Thu Jun 20 2002 - 08:59:56 PDT

    Andrew,

    I just hope your boss isn't subscribed to this list!  But it's an excellent point regarding convenience vs. security.  There are alternatives, such as a company we work with, IDEX Systems, who offer a Personal Identity Manager; for those of us who can't remember our names prior to a cup of coffee in the morning, much less the many passwords we have.

    I'm sure there are other alternatives that can help prevent this type of thing.
    Michele

    MSN and Hotmail are certainly not alone here. A lot of people check that "save password" feature for many of these online mail systems. Yahoo can do it as well.

    One of the things I have seen is IT folks poking around people's machines and easily getting on their private email thanks to a cached password. Its once again a place where a convenience feature can cause a security problem.

    Which should serve as an FYI for anybody sending a recieving private mails at work - beware of those cached passwords. If the hackers don't get them, your boss might. Do you want your boss reading your private email? I sure don't. My boss is a real jerk. :-)

    Andrew Plato
    President / Principal Consultant
    Anitian Corporation
    www.anitian.com
    Michele L. Marzocco
    Sales & Marketing Manager
    SSTDigital Broadband Communications, Inc.
    Secure Business Class Connectivity // World Class Productivity (tm)
    National Headquarters
    Bellevue, WA USA

    *Broadband Solutions Provider with Services Available across North America.*

    www.sstdigital.com
    michelem@private
    425.455.1906 x.115
    toll free 877.778.7509 x.115