Re: CRIME EarthLink Password Security Story

From: Seth Arnold (sarnold@private)
Date: Fri Jun 21 2002 - 13:05:59 PDT

    On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 12:35:47PM -0700, SCRIMSHER,JOHN  (HP-Corvallis,ex1) wrote:
    > My point is that some vulnerabilities require no special hacking
    > skills, merely the ability to walk through the open door.

    John, this has long been my position with respect to the Outlook virii
    -- Microsoft has done very little to discourage such virii, so I have
    difficulty with law actions that hold virus authors culpable for
    exploiting what was _designed_ into the mail clients.

    I imagine persuasive lawyers could sway a jury either way on this issue.
    "Exploiting functionality in the software" and "Machine owner didn't
    want the software to be used in this fashion" might be vague enough, and
    lawyers could have enough fun with "functionality versus bug" issues..

    I just try to stay on the obviously right side of the law when I can.
    I've got enough problems to deal with. :)

    --
    http://www.wirex.com/