RE: CRIME EarthLink Password Security Story

From: Justin Kurynny (justink@private)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 09:51:03 PDT

    what exactly is the definition of "breaking and entering" in legal terms?

    if one does not break anything to gain access, yet does not enter but only
    looks around and gains knowledge of contents as you mentioned, John, are
    they acting illegally?

    the interesting thing about cyberspace is that it appears as though it's a
    lot harder to distinguish the act of reading information from the act of
    accessing (entering) as system to read it. i.e., one action is integrally a
    part of the other.

    furthermore, is the act of reading information the same thing as stealing
    information? without proper posted warning, how can someone know that the
    information they are about to learn will be illegal for them to possess?
    (yikes. there's something of a shade of 'minority report' in there
    somewhere.)

    justin

    *