RE: CRIME EarthLink Password Security Story

From: SCRIMSHER,JOHN (HP-Corvallis,ex1) (john_scrimsher@private)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 11:42:54 PDT

    That is an excellent question Justin.  I was hoping that Tom would help us
    to answer that (since his sig refers to the District Attorney's office).  It
    would be my understanding that "breaking and entering" would include
    entering an unlocked door that is posted as "No Trespassing", or "Authorized
    Personnel Only" without receiving prior permission.  This may also include
    entering via a non-standard method, such as a window that is left open.  If
    it includes the non-standard methods, then that would possibly make my
    original point moot, as I don't believe that anyone would consider directory
    traversal to be a standard method of access to site information, but who
    knows what a jury could be convinced of.

    I have no legal training or background, so my opinions are strictly that.  I
    was merely doing what I like to do, play a little devil's advocate and try
    to spur intelligent conversation for all of us to have a better
    understanding of the laws that influence/are influenced by our work.  I
    don't believe that anyone can just sit on their laurels and believe that
    they already understand the laws, etc without such open discussions.

    So, back to your question (paraphrased): If one does not break anything to
    enter, but gains entry and merely "sees" information, are they acting
    illegally?

    I don't know, but I would really like to hear from anyone that has legal
    experience with such matters .  In my opinion this should not be illegal,
    but I believe that it would most likely result in conviction if presented to
    a jury.  The laws just seem to convoluted and gray to really state anything
    as fact.

    Thanks,

    ******    _/          ******  |  John Scrimsher
    *****    _/            *****  |  ISE Intrusion Detection
    ****    _/_/_/  _/_/_/  ****  |  Hewlett Packard Co.
    ****   _/  _/  _/  _/   ****  |  Phone : 541 715 4671
    ****  _/  _/  _/_/_/    ****  |  Telnet: 715 4671
    *****        _/        *****  |  Fax   : 541 715 6182
    ******      _/        ******  |  E-mail: john_scrimsher@private
                                  |  Postal: 1000 NE Circle Blvd
     i    n    v    e    n    t   |          Corvallis, Oregon 97330