RE: CRIME More on terrorist use of Steganography

From: Aucsmith, David W (awk@private)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 08:31:52 PDT

    While the U Mich analysis was good, it did not support their conclusions.
    Most of the stego community would concur.  Their methodology looked at a
    VERY limited set of potential sources of stego and used a VERY limited
    detection criteria.  In fact they did not detect the stego in use at any of
    the academic stego web sites.  Their methodology was:

    (1) Look at images on e-bay and select news groups.
    (2) Look at .jpg files and detect coding anomalies.
    (3) Use two different stego tools and the password guess data bases to see
    if stego could be confirmed.

    The correct conclusion should be: given that methodology, they did not find
    any stego.  If over time we have many such studies using different criteria,
    then we can conclude that setgo is not in general use.  It would still be
    hard to state it is not used at all as some messages need only a bit to be
    communicated - such as attack to day - which could very well just be the
    absence of a space .gif on a specific web page.  By definition, any stego
    which transmits data at or below the Shannon limit is impossible to detect.

    David Aucsmith
    Chief Security Architect
    Intel Corporation
    *
    *   "All that is required for evil to triumph is for good men
    *    to do nothing" - Sir Edmond Burke
    *
    * PGP Key Fingerprint
    *  C727 36AE 2DEF 5214 2116 2E28 7CDF C06F 3473 1AE3