CRIME Linux Advanced Topic Talk Wed July 17th

From: Zot O'Connor (zot@private)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 17:43:41 PDT

    Linux Advanced Topic Talk Wed July 17th

    [Hey look I updated the date this time!]

    Speaker Phil Tomson

    From Phil's Note:

    I've created an open source, object oriented, task distribution
    framework I call TaskMaster.  TaskMaster allows users to easily create
    their own runnable Task objects that can be distributed to multiple
    machines on a network (which are running a slave program).  Tasks are
    sent out by a designated 'master' machine to available slaves. When a
    slave receives a Task object it runs it.  When a slave completes its
    assigned task the master then 'harvests' the resulting data from it.
    Potential applications:
    * Testcase distribution (that's what I was using it for): testsuites for
    some software packages can contain thousands of testcases, distributing
    them across multiple slave machines can result in getting test results
    faster.
    * Distributed software builds: sort of a distributed 'make' where a
    large piece of software (the Linux kernel for example) that has lots of
    hierarchy can be built in pieces across several machines more quickly
    than on one machine.
    * Distributed computation: I have an example where I use several
    machines to calculate the value of Pi using the Monte-Carlo method - the
    more machines that are added, the faster the computation should go
    (given fairly equal performance of slaves).

    --------------------------

    Meeting is at 7:00 pm at It's a Beautiful Pizza on Belmont
                       <www.BeautifulPizza.com>
                           3342 SE Belmont
                        Portland, Oregon

    Directions:

             East on Belmont to Zupan's Grocery, then find a place to
             park other than Zupan's lot. Pizza is two doors east of
             Zupan's, on the SOUTH side.  This is the new location~

             BUS: #15    http://www.tri-met.org/schedule/r015.htm
    Belmont
                         10 frequency (east/west) 3:30 to 6:30.
                         15 frequency (east/west) 6:30 to 9:00.
                         30 frequency (east/west) 9:00 to 12:00.

             BUS: #75    http://www.tri-met.org/schedule/r075.htm
    39th
                         ?? frequency (north/south) <5 blocks east>

    If you cross the Morrison Bridge Eastbound, you land on
             Belmont, continue straight about 30 blocks. Parking is
             at a premium for those who drive. The place will be on
             your right just past Zupan's.

             Belmont is one block south of Morrison, 5 blocks south of
             Stark, 10 blocks south of Burnside; and 6 blocks north of
             Hawthorne.

    http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&address=3341+SE+Belmont&city=Por+tland&state=OR&zipcode=&homesubmit.x=27&homesubmit.y=12

    --
    Zot O'Connor