Re: CRIME Secure Linux in Russia

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 11:15:53 PDT

    Shaun Savage wrote:

    > I did some research on the subject  of secure Linux in Russia.  I found
    > out that the Russian has it own version of secure linux.  It is based on
    > RSBAC ( http://www.rsbac.org)   supported by ALT Linux
    > http://www.altlinux.ru or (com for those that don't read russian.)

    IMHO, by far the strongest secure linux system in Russia is Owl Linux
    <http://www.openwall.com/Owl/>. The project leader is Solar Designer, a
    legendary open source/security guy. I have met Solar, I have checked out
    their technology, and it is outstanding. We ship part of their stuff in
    the Immunix kernel. If for some reason you don't want to use Immunix :)
    then I strongly recomend Owl.

    > RSBAC does not support LSM, but it does offer good auditing, When I
    > worked on it configuration was a nightmare.
    > I am sure someone here can compare the two SELinux vs RSBAC

    RSBAC vs SELinux is a good comparison. RSBAC is also, in some sense, a
    competitor for LSM, but LSM has the community consensus behind it, and
    is likely to be included in the Linux kernel proper.

    Note: a part of the Owl system (temp file protection) is available as an
    LSM module, called OWLSM.

    > :-)  I can just see the next cold war over "Which SECURE Linux you use"

    LSM was, in some sense, designed to encourage that:

        * right now: secure Linux systems are off in the weeds, and no one
          but early adopters uses them.
        * post-LSM: anyone can use an LSM-compliant security enhancement,
          leading to fierce competition among security modules on their merrits

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Chief Scientist, WireX Communications, Inc. http://wirex.com/~crispin/