CRIME Security Justification

From: Steve Kirby (Kirbys@private)
Date: Tue Aug 13 2002 - 16:41:31 PDT

    Howdy all,

    I have poked around cert and a couple of other goverment site, but the data
    is at too high a level.  I am looking for case studies or statistics for
    smaller companies/ lower threat companies.

    Are there any papers that offer a compelling drive to spend money on
    securty?  I am working with several teams at my company that include
    exeutives, but they are looking for an ROI on any and all expenditures,
    especially in the current economy, and I have not found anything compelling
    for spending the money on security.

    The information that I would find interesting would be:
    Business/company specific numbers.  Companies outside of 'high visibility'
    sites such as - news/ defense contractors and fortune 100.  I understand why
    the goverement or yahoo need to defend themselves, I am not as clear as to
    how much Amce Building need to spend.

    The thought that pervades our IT Dept. is that our company is so low on the
    radar screen of most hackers that it may not be worth the money to secure,
    but I would like to see some statistics to back this up ... either for
    securing or against securing.

    Thanks in advance,
    Steve