Re: CRIME Daily Report 08/16/02

From: Shaun Savage (savages@private)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 09:02:58 PDT

    | Wearable encryption system 'will safeguard laptop data'.  Engineers
    may have
    | developed a way to stop information on laptops from falling into the wrong
    | hands.  The University of Michigan's Zero-Interaction Authentication
    system
    | automatically encrypts information when owners stray from their machines.
    | Most data encryption systems require users to actively encrypt or decrypt
    | their documents.  The new system automates this process via a wearable
    | device that remains in wireless contact with the laptop.  When the wearer
    | moves away, the radio connection is broken and all data is automatically
    | encrypted.  Inventor Brian Noble says the technology could be embedded
    into
    | any kind of portable device.  The technology, backed by Intel and Novell,
    | will be showcased at a computing conference in Atlanta, GA in September.
    | (Ananova.com, 14 Aug)
    |
    | WWU Comment.  This new encryption system could prove to be a valuable tool
    | in the protection of confidential data.   This tool could mitigate the
    | failure to encrypt data through oversight, and could provide additional
    | security, by having the private key stored in an external device,
    versus on
    | the local machine.

    The question that I have about "RF", is it secure?  We all know how
    secure 802.11b is. Can you spoof this device? How many keys can be
    stored? Can you store data on it and how much?

    For less the $50 you can create  auto-encrypt USB KEY now.

    Linux supports encrypted file systems.
    the only part that needs to encrypted in the "home" directories, "/etc"
    and "/var".  By keeping the keys inside the USB memory stick and
    creating a auto logout using the USB daemon. you now have a system that
    protects data. If you really want it idiot proof, tie a string from the
    user to the device.  Now you have a 5 or 10 foot range "depending on the
    length of the string".

    By requiring the USB device before the system will boot, using modified
    GRUB,  and auto shutdown you can do the same things with out spending a
    alot of money or modifying the computer.

    Shaun

    - --
    savages@private
    GPG = B527 8F72 BAFA D490 6B30  6885 9FA2 34E8 EA73 F975
    Public key at  http://www.savages.net/gpg/savages