Re: CRIME Follow-up to my idea for helping law enforcement respond more eff ectively to life-threatening disappearances and abductions

From: Michael Regan (lortap@private)
Date: Wed Aug 28 2002 - 13:44:46 PDT

    I often find Crispin’s comments informative and well thought out, but in
    this case I feel he is a bit off base especially when it comes to drug laws
    and search laws.

    Crispin’s comments:

    “Me too. IMHO, law enforcement already goes WAY over the line in violating
    our civil rights in the name of law enforcement, and if there is to be any
    balancing, it should be to make the rules of evidence, search, and seizure
    much tougher on law enforcement:”

    “End the practice of drug forfeture laws. This is a shameless
         extortion racket carried out by law enforcement to line their own
         pockets at the expense of innocent victims.
       * End the "knock and talk" drug task force in PDX. This task force
         uses circumstantial evidence that would NOT get them a warrant to
         go knock on your door, and when the victim opens the door, the
         officers "smell something" and then force their way in and
         commence to search.
       * Kudos to the Supreme Court for ruling that law enforcement cannot
         use IR (infra red) scans of someone's house (looking for grow
         lights) as evidence for a search warrant.”

    “No. The history of the RICO statute tells us otherwise. Drug seizure laws
    were intended to allow police to deny the massive wealth of drug kingpins to
    arrested suspects, so that they could not use the fruits of their illegal
    activities to spend on high-priced lawyers. But in practice drug seizure
    laws are used to shake down the poorest and most defenseless members of
    society, and the drug kingpins carry on business as usual."

    "More liberal search criteria would almost certainly be used to harm the
    most defenseless members of society, and not help at all in catching major
    criminals."

    I’m not sure how often Crispin writes search warrants, but I can personally
    recall a burglary in which blood was found at the scene of a crime (about 6
    handguns stolen), blood was followed to the apartment not with fancy
    gadgets, lights, or dogs, but rather large drops and splatters.  On the way
    to the apartment bloody tags from the handguns were found ripped off in the
    alley behind the apartment, and blood was found running down the apartment
    door at the scene.  With all this I still took several hours writing and
    getting a search warrant signed for the apartment.  And if anyone was
    uncertain how the story ended…yes the suspect who was taped on video during
    the burglary was in the apartment with all but one of the handguns.

    While I agree on protecting civil liberties, there is a point where we swing
    too far, and law enforcement does not do an effective job.  Can anyone
    recall a large amount of marijuana that police found doing a building search
    on a basketball star’s home near Portland, while responding to a burglary
    alarm?  Last call I heard was the judge suppressed drugs saying police did
    not have right to be there.  Now where will that case law lead to, no more
    building searches for anyone that has a burglary alarm, for fear that the
    police will be sued / prosecuted for unlawful entry.  Does not make me feel
    too comfortable knowing a burglar in my home may have free reign since
    police will no longer check my house when the alarm is going off, and the
    front door is open.

    The extortion that Crispin refers to in drug seizures in my past 6 years has
    been a very small amount of money mixed with a few cars that helped task
    force members attempt to fund their continued activities.  Maybe lager
    departments NY & LA might see a profit in cases, but in my experience the
    cost involved in wages, tools, and prosecution has far outweighed the cost
    offsets from seizures.  And the innocent victims Crispin refers to are the
    same people trying to sell drugs to your children, getting into shootouts on
    crowded streets with no regard to any other life, and driving vehicles while
    under the influence (drugs) endangering anyone on the road.

    I have also seen the knock and talks turn out as an effective too.  If
    anyone is worried about police smelling dope during a knock and talk, then
    don’t smoke dope at your front door as the police are knocking J

    Its also amazing how many cases have been made against people who could have
    told the police no, or closed the door in there face, but rather invited
    them in for a voluntary search, and the police quickly found drugs in that
    search.  Knock and talks IMO are one of the best ways to expose stupid
    crooks.

    I question if Crispin ever lived next to a house were he watched dozens of
    cars make 1 to 5 minute stops all night long from 10pm to 4am, where at
    times he watches people give the neighbor large bills in exchange for a
    small bags or sealed straws, and if Crispin has ever complained to the
    police about such a house and heard the response “we have no evidence /
    there’s no proof / sorry can not break into someone’s house just from what
    you saw”.  If such an example seems preposterous, be surprised I often run
    into complaints such as these several times a week.

    Tried to keep this short, and still have about 4 more pages I could write,
    but in the interest to getting back on track I’ll quit now.  Also Crispin,
    do not consider this an attack, but rather the other viewpoint of someone
    who sees serious problems on a daily basis, and tries to do what I can one
    case at a time.

    Mike