RE: CRIME Checkpoint versus Sonicwall

From: brvarin@private
Date: Wed Aug 28 2002 - 22:02:59 PDT

    Proxy based firewalls aren't really that slow.  Sure a Checkpoint is faster
    but slap on all the 3rd party application inspection engines and it too
    starts slowing down. In todays world, having a firewall that only goes down
    to Layer 4 just won't cut it IMHO. And hiding details from the outside
    world is a good thing!

    As for Snort...I love it but have to agree that it's just not something you
    want for an enterprise IDS. I use it at home and it smokes. If I had to
    manage more than a few?....ugh. ISS is the only solution for enterprise IDS
    as far I I'm concerned.

    Proxy-based firewalls are also a hell of a lot  slower than stateful packet
    firewalls. They also can hide the details of the  outside world, making
    IDSs unusable inside your network. Personally, I find that  a good stateful
    firewall can filter out all the junk and handle authentication  and
    monitoring. And then a well tuned IDS can focus in on the traffic and  what
    it is trying to do. The two working together can form a rather significant
    barrier to hacker scum. It also creates a "separation of duties" the
    firewall  does its job and the IDS does its job. You don't have one unit
    (hence a single  point of failure) trying to do both.
    .

    Once again, this is an area where Snort is  extremely difficult to use
    because there is no centralized policy creation and  management system as
    well as a reporting mechanism. Something that virtually all  the commercial
    products - even Sourcefire's commercial product -  has.