RE: CRIME Checkpoint versus Sonicwall

From: Wil Cooley (wcooley@private)
Date: Thu Aug 29 2002 - 18:05:15 PDT

    On Thu, 2002-08-29 at 14:48, tlmacgi@private wrote:
    > Once a week or once a month doesn't meet the requirement for  24/7/365
    > monitoring.   Yes, the logs are 1005 reviewed .. but that isn't the same as
    > active, full time monitoring.   However, it's a whole lot better than
    > nothing ...

    Yeah, it kinda makes my $150/mo service seem like cheap full-coverage
    (http://nakedape.cc/managedfw).  I don't pretend that it's the utmost in
    security, nor that it's a full-blown IDS; I just do the sort of things a
    normal sys admin would do--lock down the box, keep updates installed,
    and watch the logs.  It's not 24x7 coverage by any means, but I get log
    reports every hour and when I'm at my computer (which is most of the
    time), I get them.  For the customers, it's a pretty damn good
    deal--that 3 minutes here and there that I spend looking at their log
    reports probably adds up to 3 or 4 hours a month.

    Wil
    --
    Wil Cooley                                 wcooley@private
    * * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *