Re: CRIME REMINDER: Free Seminar on Computer Security tomorrow!

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 12:44:32 PDT

    Andrew Plato wrote:

    > I should note that I was very much an anti-biometric guy like you and
    > Crispin
    > until I started playing with this mouse. I won't claim its perfect,
    > but its certainly
    > one of the best I've ever seen.

    I believe that playing with the product would convince Andrew of the
    device's usability, but I don't see how this would convince anyone of
    its security. You cannot test for security, you can only test for
    *insecurity*.

    What was it about your experience that convinced you that the threat
    presented by Tsutomu Matsumoto
    <http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram-0205.html#5> is somehow not
    applicable?

    > 4 separate keys are stored, each key uses a randomly chosen 500 byte
    > chunk of the
    > hash as the "private key" The print currently in memory (just scanned
    > in) must "fill in the gaps"
    > of the key to provide authentication.
    >
    > So coding a driver for it would not be enough. You would have to have
    > some
    > software that could DO something with the data coming off the mouse to
    > make it useful.

    Another hypothetical attack. Go craft a boot floppy or CD that does the
    following:

        * boot from removable media
        * mount the HD
        * trojan the drivers for the bio-mouse so that they either
              o simple: just always say "yes"
              o complex: say "yes" for the legitimate user, or for the
                attacker's pattern

    At lunch time, I stick the disk in your machine, reboot it, come back
    five minutes later and remove the disk and reboot again. At any later
    date, I can log in to the machine.

    This attack works against any authentication scheme where the
    credentials are stored locally. In other mail, Andrew mentioned that the
    bio-mouse people can either store the credentials locally or on a remote
    authentication server. My boot media attack clearly works against the
    local case, but may or may not work with the remote case. It critically
    depends on whether the strong crypto that Andrew alleges is embedded in
    the bio-mouse goes end-to-end to the authentication server, or if it
    only goes the the PC for authentication, and then a  yes/no is sent to
    the authentication server. The latter can be successfully trojaned
    without compromising the authentication server.

    Andrew may object that this is a very sophisticated attack, and most
    people are not capable of building it. True. However, it is also a
    scriptable attack, and it can be packaged as a simple download ISO image
    that any goober can run. Consider it a real threat against this kind of
    technology, even if your threat model only assumes unsophisticated
    attackers.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Chief Scientist, WireX                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/