Re: CRIME REMINDER: Free Seminar on Computer Security tomorrow!

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 17:55:06 PDT

    Andrew Plato wrote:

    > > Crispin _is_ a professor, with a reasonably strong math background; it
    > > takes a proof to prove a theorem, but only a single counterexample to
    > > demonstrate it is incorrect. A single flaw in a piece of software
    > > demonstrates that any claim of the software's security is incorrect.
    >
    > And as such, Crispin's assertion is fine - for a math class. But running
    > an IT department is not the same as a math exercise. There are a lot
    > of aspects of building and maintaining a business and its technology
    > that do not conform to precise mathematical logic.

    That's cute. Totally wrong, but cute :)  I am actually well over to the
    practical end of the security spectrum. I don't know where you got the
    idea that what I'm saying here is in any way theoretical. If anything,
    you could say that I build solutions and Andrew deploys them.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Chief Scientist, WireX                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/