CRIME [Cyber_threats] Daily News 09/06/02

From: George Heuston (GeorgeH@private)
Date: Sun Sep 08 2002 - 12:59:00 PDT

    From: NIPC Watch [mailto:nipcwatch@private]
    Sent: Friday, September 06, 2002 8:33 AM
    To: Cyber Threats
    Subject: [Cyber_threats] Daily News 09/06/02

    September 4, National Journal's Technology Daily
    The United States is facing an alarming shortage in skilled workers to
    protect the nation's critical infrastructures from cyberterrorism and other
    threats, several homeland security and high-tech experts said Wednesday.
    "There is going to be more demand ... for people with [information
    technology] skills," Harris Miller, president of the Information Technology
    Association of America, said during a cybersecurity conference in Washington
    sponsored by the MIS Training Institute. "It is a huge problem we have in
    this country-not having enough people with adequate skills and training."
    Source: http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0902/090402td2.htm

    September 5, C|Net Networks
    E-Cop.net Surveillance said that there has been a surge in cyber-attacks
    originating from Malaysia over the last quarter. According to data compiled
    by its regional Global Command Centers (GCCs), which monitor and protect
    client networks from cyber-attacks, Malaysia was among the top three
    countries of origination of intrusion attacks. Using a monthly analysis,
    Malaysia-originated attacks accounted for 20 percent of overall incidents in
    July, compared to only 5 percent for the month of June,? said Alan See, CEO
    of e-Cop.net Surveillance. Source:
    http://www.ds-osac.org/edb/cyber/news/story.cfm?KEY=8908

    September 5, VNU Business Publishing
    A rash of attacks on Windows 2000 servers has left Microsoft security
    experts baffled. The software giant issued a security warning about the
    attacks, which seem to be based around Trojan horse programs, but unusually
    the firm has yet to suggest any protective measures. But more recent
    missives on the firm's website seem to indicate that the attacks are more
    likely to be the work of hackers rather than passive worm attacks. Microsoft
    admitted that certain files on machines running Windows 2000 seem to be
    compromised. Source:
    http://www.ds-osac.org/edb/cyber/news/story.cfm?KEY=8920

    September 5, Computer Wire
    Nominum Inc says a recently discovered flaw in the dominant domain name
    server on the internet is far more serious than originally thought, and
    could allow crackers to crash or even take control of any internet-connected
    application running on Unix, Kevin Murphy writes. "We know for sure we can
    use this bug to crash any application," said Richard Probst, VP of product
    management at Nominum, which has released a product that fixes the problem.
    "And we think we know how to use it to hijack any application, but we
    haven't seen an exploit yet." Source:
    http://www.ds-osac.org/edb/cyber/news/story.cfm?KEY=8919