Re: CRIME better computing for oregon using open source

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 14:36:40 PDT

    Shaun Savage wrote:

    > This is is a continuance of the "Computer vulnerable at Oregon" thread!
    >
    > The question here is will cost be reduced and security improved using
    > Open Source.

    Sorry, while I'm sympathetic to the ideals represented here, I do not
    agree that they are entirely axiomatic.

    > A few basic axioms of this debate is:
    > 1> "monopolies increase cost by reducing competition"

    Yes.

    >     1A+ "competition inceases software quality"

    Does not follow. A vendor that has a monopoly on a narrow niche may be
    able to devote sufficient resources to supporting a complex application,
    where as two competing vendors trying to live in the same niche may find
    themselves with insufficent revenue to properly support their applications.

    >     1A- "shorter development time reduces software quality"

    Does not follow. Good design can lead to shorter development and better
    software quality. And this does not appear to have anything to do with
    monopolies.

    > 2> "proper software development inceases software quality"

    Er, yes, but "proper" is so ill-defined that this statement is a tautology.

    > 3> "people are more important than business"

    This is not true when you are trying to conduct business, to wit:

        * Vendor: you should use my product.
        * Consumer: no, theirs is cheaper & more cost-effective.
        * Vendor: but that hurts my feelings.
        * Consumer: lump it.

    "Business vs. people" is a misleading concept. "Business" is just an
    abstraction for how people can interact, in contrast to some other
    models such as "cooperation", "fighting", and "indifference." Business
    has stood the test of time as a pretty darned effective way for people
    to interact. When someone argues a position on the basis of "people are
    more important than business", they are more than likely BS'ing an
    indefensible proposition that you should do something that contravenes
    the rules of business conduct for some reason that lends particular
    advantage to some particular people, without letting on to who gets the
    advantage.

    Open source development models are an interesting new model that is not
    well-understood (in economic terms) but people are working on it. For a
    great deal more on this topic, go look at the FSB (Free Software
    Business) mailing list, where people who actually run free software
    businesses chat with people with job titles like "professor of
    economics."  http://www.crynwr.com/fsb/

    > The topics I want to discuss are
    > What procedure are need to improve software quality for the state?

    My position on this:

        * The State should mandate that when *custom* software is procured
          by the state that the source code be delivered to the state under
          an open source license, so that the State is not placed in a
          monopoly  lock position of having only one vendor to supply
          support for that system.
        * The State should *consider* open source solutions when procuring
          commodity systems, but should not be required to choose open
          source for any particular application. This is because open source
          is *sometimes* the best solution (e.g. Apache is the most
          cost-effective web server) and sometimes not (AbiWord and Star
          Office are simply not viable competition for MS Office. Yet :)

    > How the bidding for software can be done to improve quality and security?

    Dunnow. Some of the things I've heard here about how the State procures
    consulting services in general, and software in particular, are pretty
    depressing.

    > One idea is to have development and maintaince be two seperate
    > contracts.  But this would also require a formal acceptance testing
    > procedure.

    Just mandating open source licensing of custom procured software
    obviates that complexity. If the State has open source rights to the
    code, then they can hack any contract they want for support.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Chief Scientist, WireX                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/