Re: CRIME Computers vulnerable at Oregon department

From: T. Kenji Sugahara (sugahara@private)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 17:51:55 PDT

    Steve:  "IMHO you get what you pay for. What usually happens to go one
    step further is
    that contracting companies with connections in Salem and usually with
    the lowest
    bid get the job."

    Can you think of any ideas to prevent this from happening?  This seems
    to be one big bugaboo.  Is there a fair way to conduct RFP's?  I mean,
    as discussed in an earlier thread, the state uses consultants when
    acquiring technology.  Oftentimes, these consultants have a preexisting
    relationship with a vendor, and they usually have an interest in moving
    (through customized RFP's) business to those vendors.

    "As to milking the state dry... the project manager needs to have the
    knowledge
    to know what he/she exactly needs and to realize when they are getting
    milked."

    Agreed.  The scope of projects need to be clearly and concretely set
    out at the beginning.  Otherwise you end up with a lot of "feature
    creep" and cost overruns.

    I do agree that there are applications where using open source would
    unpracticable.  However, I do think that there are some applications
    where open source could be quite useful, especially with custom
    solutions.

    "The key really is to set some PRACTICAL standards, audit them
    regularly, and force people into compliance. The only way to do this is
    a top-down buy in  from the governor, legislature, and the various
    turf-lords. Which means somebody has to tell these people - now is the
    time. "

    Andrew, what sort of standards would you suggest?

    Greg:  "The open source community is unlikely to produce massive and
    specialized software systems such as what the IRS or FAA or State of
    Oregon need."

    But would companies that were historically non-open source produce open
    source material to obtain a contract?

    Rob:  	"You know, that wireless stuff is neat! I got one at home. We
    could
    really save a lot if we didn't have to run cable around the building."
    Aghh!