Re: Identity Theft (was: CRIME Computers vulnerable at Oregon department)

From: Alan (alan@private)
Date: Sat Sep 28 2002 - 00:23:03 PDT

    On Fri, 2002-09-27 at 02:08, Crispin Cowan wrote:

    > The neat thing about my Swiftian proposal is that it doesn't actually
    > require any laws. It just says "We are going to devistate this
    > despicable practice on this date ..." and watch people scramble. There's
    > no way to stop it, short of legal prohibition against the publication.
    >
    > Come to think of it, we don't even need the State to do it at all. All
    > it takes is some civil disobedience to publish a web site on an
    > off-shore host that gives out as many SSC's as possible, and make sure
    > it gets a lot of press.

    Unfortunately it is going to take a very big hammer to get people to
    stop using SSNs.

    Currently I get asked for a social security number for just about
    anything where they may want to check my credit rating. (Getting a new
    cell phone account, medical insurance, credit apps, and anything else
    where "identity" is involved.)

    It is used because it is "convenient".  It is a number that, in theory,
    everyone has and is (supposedly) unique.  (The people who make these
    decisions do not read RISKS Digest. They probably do not read at all.)

    My father's Social Security card says "Not For Purposes of
    Identification" in bold letters on it.  Any such wording vanished a long
    time ago.

    I expect that if such information becomes public, they will just
    "tighten the system" a bit.  I expect that photos will be required on
    Social Security cards and that such cards will function as a default
    National ID card.

    The problem in that case will not be the specious identifiers, but the
    control freaks that rise to positions of power.

    --
    Alan <alan@private>