Re: CRIME Dockworker lockout- OT

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 23:08:15 PDT

    sugahara@private wrote:

    > First off, thanks for everyone's feedback and discussion on the issue
    > of technology in the state.  It was a great discussion and it was
    > great to see some new posters out here.
    >
    > This is a little off topic in terms of crime, but it does have
    > specific implications for the technology industry.
    >
    > It seems to me that the entire problem with the lockout hinges with
    > the potential elimination of union jobs (data entry) through the use
    > of technology.  The issue is for the union is the loss of those jobs.
    > However, they want to ensure that any technology jobs that are created
    > are included in the union.  This brings up the question:  would a
    > union be good and/or necessary for jobs in the technology field?

    Unions are an evil, parasitic cancer on American industry.

    To be fair, that cancer results from the toxic policies of bad
    management that thinks oppressing workers is a good way to enhance
    productivity.

    To the point: labor seems to be squarely in the way of improving
    efficiencies at American ports. I don't see what data entry clerking has
    to do with dock work, it has nothing what so ever to do with the
    dangerous heavy labor that caused the Longshorman's union to become
    necessary, and just seems like a desparate power grab by a union whose
    membership is in natural decline because automation is eliminating the
    need for those jobs.

    Screw 'em.

    Caveat:  all in my personal, humble opinion. Write me if you want to
    know how I really feel :)

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Chief Scientist, WireX                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/