Re: CRIME Virus - Hello!

From: Jordan Gackowski (jgackowski@private)
Date: Sat Oct 19 2002 - 19:47:53 PDT

    Steve's x-mas shopping list for mom: ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE from a reputable
    vendor that offers updates on a regular basis.

    there are a couple of viruses that could be the culprit.  more than likely
    , it is bugbear  http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.bugbear@private

    it is a fairly recent virus (30 Sep 02) and still propagating in the wild.
    Hello!  is one if the many possible subj. lines that it can use.

    full info and removal instructions - follow the link above.

    ~Jordan

    |         |           Steve Coffman    |
    |         |           <divinstr@dsl-onl|
    |         |           y.net>           |
    |         |           owner-crime@private|
    |         |           x.edu            |
    |         |           10/19/2002 12:45 |
      >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
      |                                                                                                                         |
      |       To:       linux-security-request@private, redhat-list@private, plug@private,                           |
      |        linux-security-request@private, crime@private, fw@private                             |
      |       cc:                                                                                                               |
      |       Subject:  CRIME Virus - Hello!                                                                                    |
      >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

    Hi All,

    Well... My mother sent me a virus. OK, I tries to explain to her not to
    open files with more than 1 dot, but it was from a friend that said they
    could not open the file, so....

    I'm trying to identify which virus it is so I can try to clean up her
    computer. Subject line was "Hello!"
    A file was simply attached - Budget.xsl.scr. The budget spreadsheet is an
    actual file of hers so the virus picked it up and attached itself then went
    through her address book and sent it out.

    Her components are: Opera 6.1 for all browsing, and Eudora Pro 4.3 for her
    mail. Most e-mail virus warnings I've seen posted are due to the wonderful
    Microsoft Outlook products, so I'm not sure which virus this is.

    Any help or direction to look would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Steve Coffman