CRIME States Laws v.s. Fedral Laws

From: Shaun Savage (savages@private)
Date: Mon Oct 21 2002 - 14:04:00 PDT

    attached mail follows:

    The federal government has signalled its willingness to expand its war against medical marijuana patients beyond California with the first known federal seizure of an Oregon state-licensed and legal cannabis garden. Though federal agents have raided dozens of medical marijuana gardens in California since September 11, 2001, this is the first time federal agents have stolen an Oregon patients' licensed marijuana. Voters approved the Oregon Medical Marijuana Act in November 1998, and the Oregon Department of Human Services began issuing state licenses for medical marijuana in May 1999. The licenses, which cost each patient $150 in state license fees alone, allow those with certain debilitating medical conditions to grow, possess and use medical marijuana in private for 1 year. The cards may be renewed for an annual state fee of $150 per patient. On Monday, September 23, 2002, a 3 patient, Oregon-licensed medical marijuana garden in Linn County, Oregon had all 12 of its cannabis plants seized by Michael P. Spasaro, a federal Drug Enforcement Administration Special Agent based in Eugene. The raid was in association with the Lane-Linn-Benton County "Valiant Team," an inter-agency drug enforcement squad. The indoor garden was located between Lebanon and Sweet Home, in the home of Leroy Stubblefield, 53, a quadriplegic war veteran. Stubblefield says, "I feel like I have been raped." Two of Stubblefield's caregivers, Scott Russell, 46, and Clarence VanDehay, 48, were with him during the assault, and all three of them are licensed as medical marijuana patients by Oregon Health Services' Medical Marijuana Program. The 12 plant garden was for the three of them. For 3 patients, they could have had up to 21 plants and still been legal under state law. The three patients have valid licenses which cost them $150 each, so in total they had paid state fees of $450 allowing and protecting them so they may grow, posses and use medical marijuana under the state law. Each of the three could have legally had 7 plants, but, instead, only had 4 each. Shortly after Noon on Sept. 23rd, Russell noticed that 4 cars and a truck pulled into their driveway on rural Mountain Home Road. While 8 other men waited in the driveway, two plainclothes officers came to the door and asked for Leroy Stubblefield, the homeowner. Stubblefield, a quadriplegic for 33 years, was in bed at the time and told his caregivers they could let the 2 men in to speak with him. The officers came into Stubblefield's bedroom, identified themselves as members of the "Valiant Team" and said they had a report that 100 marijuana plants were growing in the home's basement. The 3 patients identified themselves, showed the police their state medical marijuana identification cards and told them they were abiding by the state law. The two officers asked Stubblefield to see their basement garden, and Stubblefield told Russell to show them. Since the 3 patients were complying with the state law, they thought they were protected by their state licenses. Russell took the two plainclothes police downstairs, unlocked the two garden rooms and let the law enforcement officers in. The unidentified Lane County detective said the garden was in compliance with state law and that he was not going to bother with it. Russell says that at this point, DEA Special Agent Michael Spasaro told the detective that he was going to seize all 12 plants under federal law. Russell says the Lane County detective shook his head no, and said it is legal and in compliance with state law. Spasaro said he was going to enforce federal law in Stubblefield's home. At this point, the detective should have intervened to protect the state-licensed patients' civil rights from violation by federal intervention. The patients' state-licensed property was stolen with the complicity and under the supervision of Oregon county detectives. Russells says that he expressed his anger and disbelief that Spasaro was going to steal their medicine. Stubblefield said he could hear that Russell was very angry in the basement. Stubblefield was shocked, but called for Russell, then asked Russell to calm down and not antagonize the law enforcement agents. Russell went back downstairs and tried to contain his anger. Russell asked Spasaro if he could keep some flowers. Spasaro said no, so Russell says he made the DEA agent wait several minutes while he smelled one plant's freshly harvested cannabis flowers, the fruit of his labor. Spasaro told quadriplegic Stubblefield, "You're lucky we don't seize your home." At another point during the assault, Spasaro said, "You're lucky we don't seize your lights." After Spasaro had taken the single harvested plant and cut down the other 11 live plants, he took them out to the truck and prepared to leave. Stubblefield asked Russell if he had received a receipt for their property, the stolen marijuana plants. Russell said no, then he went outside to the drug agents in their vehicle, and waived Spasaro over. Russell told Spasaro that he wanted a receipt for the plants. Spasaro said, "I've been in drug enforcement for 24 years and you're the first person to ever ask for a receipt." Spasaro dug through the trunk of his unmarked federal police car and eventually found a "U.S. Department of Justice- Drug Enforcement Administration 'Receipt for Cash or Other Items' ." Spasaro wrote that he seized 12 marijuana plants, signed the form and gave it to Steve Russell. THCF and the three patients will file a lawsuit regarding this incident, naming the US federal Drug Enforcement Administration agent, his agency, and others as defendants. THCF is proud to have provided these patients with 7 replacement plants to rebuild their garden and several ounces of free medicine. THCF will hold a press conference in Linn County at Leroy Stubblefield's home on Wednesday, October 23rd at 12:30pm. We have videotaped our initial interview with Stubblefield and Russell, and the delivery of our gifts to help them get back on their feet. We have copies of the DEA business card and federal property receipt. The video and scanned papers will be available online on our website soon and we'll feature them on our next live TV show, Cannabis Common Sense, in Portland on Friday, October 25th at 8pm. This is the contact data from the business card left by the DEA agent: United State Department of Justice Drug Enforcement Administration Michael P. Spasaro Special Agent 211 E. 7th Ave. Suite 420 Eugene, OR 97401 Tel: 541-465-6861 Fax: 541-465-6796 Mobil: 541-954-1421 We urge you to contact Spasaro to express your outrage at his theft and his cruel torture of a quadriplegic patient. Then please contact your state and federal elected officials to let them know we have to stop these sadistic, senseless attacks on sick people. www.thc-foundation.org CRRH is working to regulate and tax the sale of cannabis to adults like alcohol, allow doctors to recommend cannabis through pharmacies and restore the unregulated production of industrial hemp. *Campaign for the Restoration and Regulation of Hemp* mail: CRRH ; P.O. Box 86741 ; Portland, OR 97286 USA email: crrh@private phone: (503) 235-4606 fax: (503) 235-0120 web: http://www.crrh.org/