RE: CRIME Driveby DOS

From: alan (alan@private)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 07:42:04 PDT

    On 23 Oct 2002, Zot O'Connor wrote:

    > On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 13:21, Jere Retzer wrote:
    > > What does this say about the future of public "free" wireless
    > > networks?
    > >

    > This is an interesting question.  They will be as liable as are ISPs.
    >
    > Now if it is a individual putting up the link, you lack deep pockets,
    > but I would not be surprised to see "expected behavior" to include
    > things like bandwidth limits, port blocking, logging, etc.
    >
    > ISPs have been ducking the liability issues for a while, but it is hard
    > in America.....

    They have been ducking it by being classed as a "common carrier".

    Unfortunatly, we live in a country that blames the person with the deepest
    pockets for crimes, not the person who commited them.

    Charging an ISP for crimes because someone used their network for
    something naughty is like charging the phone company because someone used
    it to harass someone or make an obscene phone call.