Re: [PLUG] Re: CRIME Virus - Hello!

From: Russ Johnson (russj@private)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 11:58:41 PDT

    * Seth Arnold <sarnold@private> [2002-10-24 10:41]:
    > The easiest solution is to put the hard drive in another computers with
    > a virus scanner. Since a virus can install itself into the boot process
    > of the computer, installing a virus scanner now has only a marginal
    > chance of success. So do the virus scanning on another machine.

    Wouldn't it be even easier to use one of the many virus scanners that
    work from a boot disk? Boot with a read only floppy, made from a known
    clean machine, and scan from a read only floppy.

    > The next easiest solution is to simply reformat and reinstall. Depending
    > on how many documents your mother has created and how many applications
    > she runs, this may be easier than cleaning up after the virus. (This has
    > the especial advantage that you can use this opportunity to install an
    > operating system with access controls -- so your mother's email client
    > can't modify system files. Take your pick: NT 4, Win 2k, WinXP, any of
    > the Linux distributions, any of the BSD distributions -- only you and
    > your mother can decide what operating system is right for her. But pick
    > one where her email client can't trash the system.)

    Many of the viruses today can be cleaned quite easily. Maybe not too
    quickly, but it's usually fairly easy for a clueful user.

    > The next solution is to take this current tack and try to find out the
    > virus itself using the various information databases the antivirus
    > vendors supply, and do the work manually.

    Yup, manually....

    > Whatever you do, you may wish to consider making a {christmas, hanakah,
    > ramadan, kwanza, all pagans' day} gift out of an antivirus software, if
    > whatever operating system you reinstall with has some available. :)

    Yeah, I prefer Norton, only because I'm most familiar with it, and used
    to support it's less powerful engine in Norton Utilities. I haven't like
    Symantecs antics in the last couple of years though. Seems the CEO that
    took over doesn't care about the people. Only about the corporate
    entitiies he can sell to.

    > Oh yeah, and ask windows questions in windows mail lists. :) I've left
    > them in the CC: as a way of saying that I've already asked you to be
    > careful in the future, so no one else feels obligated to do the same. :)

    Good idea. :)

    Russ Johnson
    Dimension 7/Stargate Online
    http://www.dimstar.net

    Random thought #16 (Collect all 17)
    "It is often easier to fight for principles than to live up to them." - Adlai Stevenson