Re: CRIME SPAM

From: Seth Arnold (sarnold@private)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 11:34:44 PST

    On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 07:20:56AM -0800, Dorning, Kevin E - DI-3 wrote:
    > We have been receiving a pretty significant amount of SPAM via the Crime
    > mailings lately.  Is there someone who is taking on the responsibility
    > to deal with this problem?

    No. It is an administrative decision to do practically no spam filtering
    on this list. I use spamassassin and like it. Others swear by spamcop.
    I've heard good things about bogofilter. (I also hear bogofilter needs
    training. I've got 40+ megs of spam if you want to train a bogofilter.)
    I understand future versions of mozilla are going to include some simple
    anti-spam measures. And many ISPs offer spam-filtered mail, if you don't
    want to do anything about it yourself. :)

    (Unfortunately, the spamassassin ruleset I'm using never catches those
    egyptcat jerks. They don't send enough spam for me to dedicate twenty
    minutes to figuring out how to write spamassassin rules...)

    I try to submit my incoming spam to vipul's razor, so if you want to run
    that, you might get the benefits of me reading my email...

    And, as a final note, I'm always surprised at how much more emails crime
    has about spam than actual spam emails themselves...

    --
    Nothing says, "Superpower" like bombing a country that is poor and
    hungry. -- Ken Brush