RE: CRIME The Economist: Survey - digital security

From: Andrew Plato (aplato@private)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 13:22:32 PST

    That is a good survey, I just read it the other night. I have two
    comments on it:

    1. The report seems to underscore the need for integration and
    management of security issues...aka customer service. Support and
    service is abysmal in the security space. I like to point to the
    pathetic state of most technical documentation as ample proof of that.
    Companies hire desktop publishers and journalism students to provide
    technical manuals on highly complex security systems. The result is
    material that isn't even worth the paper it is printed on.

    2. Once again this article states how some company has this "new idea"
    called intrusion prevention systems (IPS). RealSecure Guard (formerly
    BlackICE Guard) pre-dates Hogwash and all the other "new" IPS systems by
    almost 3 years. I was installing and tuning these systems in 2000, when
    Hogwash was still just an interesting idea on the Snort forums. This is
    not in deference to those other technologies, but merely to point out
    that IPS isn't new, it isn't a theory, and it does work.

    Andrew Plato, CISSP
    President / Principal Consultant
    Anitian Corporation

    503-644-5656 Office