RE: CRIME A couple questions...

From: Brent Tucker (brentt@private)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 13:40:11 PST

    Issue #1 could be this popup spam scam:
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/823007.asp <http://www.msnbc.com/news/823007.asp>

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Todd Ellner [mailto:tellner@private]
    Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 11:40 AM
    To: crime@private
    Subject: CRIME A couple questions...

    A couple things have shown up at work that someone on this list (or a whole
    bunch of someones) are probably experts on. Any advice you could give would
    be really appreciated.

    1) A couple of the Windows machines have been getting annoying popup spams.
    As near as we can tell it's not a Trojan program installed on the boxes. Not
    a mail message. Not an Instant Messenger thing. Not a web browser. Looks
    more like a regular dialog box. The Microsoft knowledge base was kind of
    cryptic.

    Has anyone else experienced a rash of these?

    2) The first real version of the company's product has to be a little more
    flexible in terms of "classes of things the administrator can allow users to
    do". Are there some good books or net resources on formally defining
    security policies?

    3) Checkpoint? SonicWall? Something else that provides good value for the
    money for a small enterprise? Or should I just fall back on Old Reliable
    ("Building Internet Firewalls 2nd Edition")?

    Todd