Re: CRIME [Fwd: [Information_technology] Daily News 12/06/02]

From: John E Jewkes-AAA0OR-AAA0ID (aar0mi@private)
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 18:00:48 PST

  • Next message: George Heuston: "CRIME FW: [NIPC-daily] Information Bulletin 02-011, Software Firm Investigation Serves as a General Information Security Reminder"

    On Fri, 06 Dec 2002 17:37:30 -0800 Lyle Leavitt <lylel@private>
    writes:

> [...]
    medical institutions have the potential to place protected
    health information at risk," the auditors said. Unauthorized users
    both inside and outside the hospitals' and other institutions'
    networks could gain access to patient medical records,

    FWIW: The ORHION System (OHSU and other Hospitals) had
    similar problems several years back when it was first starting. In
    Most cases, IT managers quickly learn how to close some of the
    loops that let people in where they don't belong. When I worked
    in the SPD (now Logistics) Dept., They had an occasional glitch
    that let other folks log in under my name/user id, without password,
    and gain access to areas of the system that even I wasn't supposed
    to have access to.
            This usually happened between 0200 and 0500 (Backup period)
    as the Authentication server went down as well. Since then they have
    made many changes that upgraded the security. Remember, once it
    was only needful to get a signature saying you wouldn't stray where
    you shouldn't, and so on. Big problem was, when you have more
    than a handful of WAN's and LAN's tied together where the safety
    checks are incompatible one with another.
            I would imagine that Texas Health is having similar issues.. I
    wish there was a clearinghouse that helped other IT professionals
    setting up 'first WAN's' and Multi LAN's with side stepping some
    of the early contacts and setup problems.....

    John Jewkes, SMD US ARMY MARS
    Oregon/Idaho State Director
    AAA0OR OR/AAA0ID ID/AAR0MI OR
    W6HNC