Re: CRIME FW: [Cyber_threats] Daily News 12/26/02

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Fri Dec 27 2002 - 02:20:51 PST

    George Heuston wrote:

    >December 24, ZDNet Australia - Trojan horses plague open source. At
    >least three commonly used open source software packages were altered by
    >black-hat hackers to contain "Trojan horse" code this year. The three

    This is primarily a symptom of maintainers not using cryptographic
    signatures to certify authentic versions of their code. Some maintainers
    sign their releases, but not nearly enough.

    >But Pointon says that
    >using open source software is often less risky than using pre-compiled,
    >or "closed source" software because users who download open source
    >packages can very easily verify their authenticity through a
    >mathematical process known as an md5 checksum.

    Correct: open source programs have made the press with these incidents,
    because they were detected within a few days. Closed source programs may
    well have nasty Trojans in them, but they will not make the press with
    that, because such Trojans would be very difficult to detect, while
    remaining very easy to exploit by those in the know. I suggest that this
    has already happened, and we're just not seeing it in the press.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Chief Scientist, WireX                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/
    			    Just say ".Nyet"