Re: CRIME Microsoft Windows XP question

From: Tim Kramer (kramert@private)
Date: Thu Jan 02 2003 - 05:19:45 PST

    On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 02:05, David M. Fetter wrote:

    > The only real way that I could think to limit that would be to use
    > biometrics and disable passwords for all accounts including
    > administrator.

    Personally, I'm wary of the use of biometrics for
    security.  It's been demonstrated that fingerprint
    scanners can be easily fooled (gummy bear anyone?),
    voice recognition remains highly inaccurate, and
    eye scanners expensive.

    In this case, I agree with Rob Magee in that she
    probably waited for her father to leave the terminal
    open and unattended.  This sort of thing happens
    more often than passwords being compromised by
    writing them down.

    The password sounded a bit too complicated to be
    easy to remember.  Better to use a pass phrase and
    pick a combination of letters from it.  You can then
    substitute numbers for letters, capitalize, etc.
    It may not be easy to remember directly but should
    be easy to figure out if you remember the original
    passphrase.

    Example:

    "I grew up in Denver, Colorado!" = "1guiD,C0!"