Re: CRIME Microsoft Windows XP question

From: rrwilso@private
Date: Thu Jan 02 2003 - 13:26:53 PST

    So take the removable media out of the boot sequence and set a BIOS
    password.

                          Crispin Cowan
                          <crispin@private         To:      Shaun Savage <savages@private>
                          om>                      cc:      crime@private
                          Sent by:                 Subject: Re: CRIME Microsoft Windows XP question
                          owner-crime@private
                          dx.edu

                          01/02/2003 01:17
                          PM

    Shaun Savage wrote:

    > Even though Linux is not totally secure, it is an order of magnitude
    > better than any MSwindows product.  Buy using SELinux, (which is free)
    > or WireX (which is good), a person can improve security where socal
    > engineering is the only fesible way.

    While I appreciate the praise, neither Immunix nor SELinux provide
    security against physical access. The problem is below the operating
    system, in the BIOS: by default, the hardware/BIOS looks at removable
    media (floppy, CD, DVD) ahead of looking at the hard drive to boot from.
    To 0wn the machine, just insert a malicious disk and reboot.

    > Open Source Linux Rules

    Linux, security-enhanced or not, is subject to the same threat.

    To prevent this attack, while also offering physical access (i.e. in a
    public kiosk or a school lab) you have to physically block the removable
    media. For instance, you remove the CD and floppy drives from the
    machine, and then encase the whole box in a locked cabinet so the
    attacker can't install their own drives.

    Protecting a home PC from your kids is flat out impossible. If it still
    is important to have this protection, get a door lock.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
    Chief Scientist, WireX                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/
                    Just say ".Nyet"

    (See attached file: attjnhdd.dat)

    IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains
    information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely
    for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the
    intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified
    that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly
    prohibited.  Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended
    to be a legally binding signature.