CRIME Re: SQLSlammer Worm & IDSs

From: Scott C. Kennedy (sck@private)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 10:50:32 PST

    Andrew Plato wrote:

    > I am curious what people were seeing with SQL Slammer and their IDSs.
    > I've been collecting anecdotal evidence that Slammer flew right past
    > a lot of IDSs.
    >
    > I know that Snort and BlackICE just reported UDP port probes. Snort
    > got a sig early Saturday morning however. RealSecure sensors had a
    > signature in September that seemed to worked.
    >
    > I am curious what anybody running Cisco's IDS, Symantec Manhunt,
    > Enterasys Dragon, NFR, Intruvert, or any other IDS saw. Was it
    > identified as a worm or just a port probe?

    The NFRs we run reported the probe/attack as the following,

        Severity:           Attack
        Time:               21:27:51 24-Jan-2003
        Source File:        packages/mssql/sql2k.nfr
        Line:               29
        Alert ID:           mssql_sql2k:sqlserv_stackoverflow_alert
        Source ID:          mssql_sql2k:source_me
        Source:             mssql_sql2k:source_me
        Source Description: Sqlserver 2k overflow detector
        Source PID:         32152
        Alert Message:      Sql server stack overflow detected:
        216.65.99.XXX:1482 to 216.65.220.XXX:1434!
        Source IP:          216.65.99.XXX
        Destination IP:     216.65.220.XXX

    The alert itself was not as interesting as the 17,098 others we got in
    the next 35 mins! :)

    Then on Saturday at 2:45pm PST, the NFR Rapid Response Team released an
    update to their SQL package which seperately identified the worm from
    the buffer overflow it detected the worm as..

    --
     Scott C. Kennedy
     Lead Security Architect/ Director of Security