RE: CRIME SQLSlammer Worm

From: Kuo, Jimmy (Jimmy_Kuo@private)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 16:37:18 PST

    >I though there was a standard convention on naming virii and worms, but
    >unfortunately anti virus companies seem not to follow it.

    >See CARO virus naming convention.

    >What'd you call that virus?
    >http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/reviews/0,4161,2705199,00.html

    The CARO naming convention is undergoing a rewrite and update.

    But that's not the problem.  The problem is rapid resolution and
    coordination in a worldwide outbreak.

    Also, CARO pertains only to AV.  ISS and Eeye are not subscribers to the
    CARO convention.  Though after the rewrite comes out, we would hope the IDS
    environment comes up using the similar structure tailored for their own.

    Jimmy