CRIME Re: SQLSlammer Worm & IDSs

From: Mike Barkett (mbarkett@private)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 15:31:54 PST

    Andrew -

    Prior even to the initial propagation of the worm, NFR NID detected
    exploitation of the underlying vulnerability and identified it as a "SQL
    Server stack overflow."  Several major NFR customers sent us emails
    complimenting us on our foresight, as their NFR NID appliances have enabled
    them to detect this attack since August, 2002.  Still, our Rapid Response
    Team responded the day of the outbreak, releasing an updated version of the
    package that indentified the worm by its new name and included some tuning
    variables to help reduce the number of alerts generated by the incoming
    onslaught from other, more vulnerable sites.  From my perspective, this was
    remarkably reminiscent of the Nimda epidemic, and it is another testament to
    the value of advanced hybrid intrusion detection solutions.

    -MAB

    --
    Michael A Barkett
    VP, Systems Engineering