CRIME/OCATE Meeting, 14 Feb @12:30@OCATE

From: George Heuston (GeorgeH@private)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2003 - 10:34:12 PST

    Folks,

    We are honored to have the founder of our CRIME list, and valued CRIME
    member at large, Dr. John McHugh from CERT, as our Valentine's Day
    speaker.  This is a 'must' attend--a fitting Valentine's treat for our
    group.  See you there!

    Geo

    _____________________

    Title: Evaluating IDS Systems (Why testing Security Software is Hard)

    Topic: In 1998 (and again in 1999), the Lincoln Laboratory of MIT
    conducted a comparative evaluation of Intrusion Detection Systems (IDSs)
    developed under DARPA funding. While this evaluation represents a
    significant and monumental undertaking, there are a number of issues
    associated with its design and execution that remain questionable. The
    difficulties associated with this evaluation have been the subject of
    several papers and a number of presentations. As a result of our
    investigations of Lincoln's efforts, we have been attempting to develop
    an appropriate framework in which similar, but meaningful and useful,
    evaluations can be performed. This talk will contrast our proposed
    approach with the work that Lincoln performed (and is continuing to
    perform). Our primary conclusion for signature based systems are that
    the we simply do not know enough to generate appropriate artificial
    background data for false alarm evaluation, but that there are a
    systematic approaches to measuring true positive and negative
    performance, under both ideal and appropriate environmental stress
    conditions. The situation is much less clear for with respect to anomaly
    based systems since the relationships between anomalous and intrusive
    behavior are poorly understood. In both areas, there is a paucity of
    theory that can be applied to the problem and we feel that the ad hoc
    and intuitive approaches that characterize today's efforts may be
    nearing their limits.

    Dr. McHugh's CV:  John McHugh is a member of the technical staff at
    CERT, part of the SEI at CMU. He was a professor and former chairman of
    the Computer Science Department at Portland State University in
    Portland, Oregon where he held a Tektronix Professorship. His research
    interests include computer security, software engineering, and
    programming languages. He has previously taught at The University of
    North Carolina and at Duke University. He has been an active researcher
    in the application of formal methods to the construction of dependable
    and secure systems for many years. He was the architect of the Gypsy
    code optimizer and the Gypsy Covert Channel Analysis tool. Dr. McHugh
    received his PhD degree in computer science from the University of Texas
    at Austin. He has a MS degree in computer science from the University of
    Maryland, and a BS degree in physics from Duke University. He grew up in
    Durham, North Carolina, leaving when he graduated from Duke. Twenty
    years later, he returned, demonstrating that Thomas Wolfe was wrong.
    After another ten years in Durham, he moved to Portland, demonstrating,
    perhaps, that Wolfe knew what he was talking about after all.