Spectacular Speaker--March 11th CRIME meeting @ Verizon @10AM

From: George Heuston (geoneve@private)
Date: Sat Feb 15 2003 - 14:33:52 PST

    Folks,

    The CRIME-OCATE presentation series has about wrapped up.  Eogan Casey
    (last, but certainly not least) will be speaking on 02/28/03 @ OCATE:
    http://www.cs.pdx.edu/~markem/LAB/LDFSR/ocate.html#Casey

    Following Casey's presentation, CRIME will shift back to its old
    schedule (2nd Tuesdays @10AM) and haunts (Verizon Cellular off I-5 and
    Carmen Drive.

    To kick off the fact that "we're baaack," I've arranged to have Mr.
    Scott Charney, Microsoft's chief security strategist, as our March
    speaker.  It's taken me a very long time to get him here--but finally!

    I worked with Scott Charney when I was in the FBI in the Bay Area, and
    Scott was heading up the Computer Crimes and Intellectual Property
    Section at the U.S. Dept. of Justice.  A more engaging and knowledgeable
    speaker on the subjects of computer crime, intellectual property crime,
    and international cybercrime treaties, cannot be found.  I want you to
    pack the house for Scott, so mark your calendars to be there.  I will
    post more details about the topic, etc, when I get them.  Meanwhile,
    below is a bit of further background on Scott, from the news squib
    detailing his hiring at Microsoft.  Scott took Howard Schmidt's job,
    when Howard left for the beltway.
    ___________________________________

    REDMOND, Wash. -- Jan. 31, 2002 --Microsoft Corp. today announced that
    Scott Charney, a principal for PricewaterhouseCoopers' Cybercrime
    Prevention and Response Practice, has agreed to join Microsoft as chief
    security strategist. Charney will focus on developing strategies to
    enhance the security of MicrosoftR products, services and
    infrastructures as part of the Trustworthy Computing initiative. He is
    scheduled to start work at Microsoft on the first of April.

    "As one of the industry's top computer security experts, Scott has
    wide-ranging experience in cybercrime and computer forensics, which will
    make him an essential member of Microsoft's Trustworthy Computing
    leadership team," said Craig Mundie, chief technical officer at
    Microsoft...

    During Charney's tenure at PricewaterhouseCoopers, he provided proactive
    and reactive computer security services to major companies, including
    designing and building computer security systems from scratch, testing
    existing systems, conducting cybercrime investigations, and assisting
    companies responding to electronic discovery requests.

    Before joining PricewaterhouseCoopers, Charney served as chief of the
    Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section (CCIPS), Criminal
    Division, at the Department of Justice, from 1991 to 1999. Under his
    direction, CCIPS investigated and prosecuted national and international
    hacker cases, economic espionage cases, and violations of federal
    criminal copyright and trademark laws. Before joining the federal
    prosecutive ranks, Charney was an assistant district attorney in Bronx
    County, New York, ultimately serving as deputy chief of the
    Investigations Bureau.

    Charney holds a degree from Syracuse University College of Law as well
    as bachelor's degrees in history and English from the State University
    of New York at Binghamton.

    Source:
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2002/jan02/01-31CharneyPR.asp