Re: CRIME OCIPEP AV03-008 - Microsoft Windows XP Password Vulnerability

From: Seth Arnold (sarnold@private)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 16:13:40 PST

    On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 11:47:43PM -0000, Wanja Eric Naef [IWS] wrote:
    > BTW question: they recommend to have a strong BIOS password as
    > countermeasure, but is not just possible to put a new BIOS in or reset
    > it to bypass this feature???

    Sure. But it is intended to raise the bar a little, and properly locked
    cabininets go a long way towards further mitigating the risk. This list
    has hashed over this question ad nauseum several times that I can recall;
    mail majordomo@private with a body of "help" .. maybe list archives
    are available.

    --
    "Security for who?" -- Crispin Cowan