Re: CRIME RE: Response to 4-1-9 scams

From: Seth Arnold (sarnold@private)
Date: Sun Mar 16 2003 - 22:14:34 PST

    On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 11:05:51AM -0800, Scott Hoffman wrote:
    > Part of the reason I didn't get mom a full-blown PC was the security
    > maintenance a PC requires. I figured the e-mail station doesn't
    > present much of an attack profile.

    Scott, before trusting it too far, I'd suggest sending your mother an
    email like this:
    +++ATH0DT1503<yourphonenumberhere>

    If your phone rings, something is wrong.

    Something very similar allowed the microsoft webtv system to dial, e.g,
    911. It is amazing how a dirt-simple device can be used for nefarious
    purposes...

    --
    "I think anybody who believes that they understand the will of God,
    and can act as an agent for God, is dangerous." -- Chris Hedges