CRIME I wish to heck this WAS an April Fool's joke

From: Todd Ellner (tellner@private)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 12:17:34 PST

    As many here are probably aware the Justice Department recently decided to
    exempt the NCIC and the  Central Records System and National Center for the
    Analysis of Violent Crime  from Electronic Privacy Act requirements that
    they be timely, accurate and complete (http://www.epic.org/actions/ncic/ -
    for a somewhat activist view of this).

    For those of you in law enforcement I'd really appreciate your perspective
    on this.

    Will it make any difference to the way you use these data sources?
    Do you think it will lead to more mistaken arrests and detentions?
    Have NCIC and NCAVC records been reasonably accurate so far?
    Are the current requirements difficult to fulfill? Has conforming to them
    made your job more difficult?

    Thanks in advance,
    Todd