CRIME In advance of the Microsoft security guy coming...

From: Andrew Plato (aplato@private)
Date: Fri Apr 04 2003 - 17:35:50 PST

    Seeing as how a security guy from Microsoft is coming next week, you
    might want to check out a new white paper I wrote and released this
    week. It's the results of a 2 year field test of Windows as a security
    appliance. In two years of using Windows as a platform for RealSecure
    Guard, none of the systems we deployed were hacked, crashed, or
    compromised.

    The big soundbyte from this test is the famous "337-day Windows Server."
    Anitian was able to successfully run an Internet-exposed Windows system
    hosting RealSecure Guard without fail, fault, hack, crash, or reboot for
    337 days non-stop. A remarkable feat...for a Windows machine. ISS told
    me today they have a customer with a Guard unit that has been running
    non-stop for OVER 337 days.

    Incidentally, the 337 day Guard unit was rebooted only because it had to
    be moved. Not because it had finally died or anything like that.

    This isn't proof that Windows is perfect, but it shows that with good
    system administration, monitoring, and configuration - Windows can be
    stable and secure.

    Check out the white paper at:
    http://www.anitian.com/Corp/papers/337days.pdf

    Lastly, none of the firms mentioned here, specifically ISS or Microsoft,
    endorsed, sanctioned, or compensated me in any way for this paper. This
    was based on independent testing. Also some of the details of these
    systems cannot be revealed since they are customers of Anitian and
    guarding mission critical business systems.

    As always, comments and edits are welcome.

    ___________________________________
    Andrew Plato, CISSP
    President / Principal Consultant
    Anitian Corporation