Re: CRIME FTP

From: Mark Grigsby (mark@private)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 12:24:07 PDT

    Keith Proffitt wrote:

    > Does anyone know if FTP (File Transfer Protocol) can have password
    > protection to prevent inappropriate access?
    > Or is FTP by nature not protected by authentication? Keith Proffitt

      Traditionally, ftp is a system based application used to move files from one
    userspace to another..  it relied on users active accounts on a system and
    traditionally is matched to the user / pass associated with the "real account"
    that user has on the server

     An anonymous server forgoes  the password protection and should by design be
    chrooted (restricted to a small out of the way location in your file system with
    no access to any of the regular security files used for access control) but
    still requires a username and password...  The anonymous server may be
    configured to use a particular pattern for the password, or may require the
    password to contain a particular set of characters as a minimum and accept any
    additional characters.  For example.

        Require E-Mail   *@*  would require any thing that looked like user@domain
    additionally, you could use *@*.* to require pattern looking like
    user@domain-name.com

        Require Local E-Mail  In this case, you could require the password to
    require your domain.  I.E.  *@domain-name.com

        Many other patterns are possible, these are only a small example.

    It has become common that web browsers automatically send the username and
    password as either guest / your-email or anonymous/e-mail or some other equally
    innocuous username and password...

     This is a very unsecure method of service access.  Recently,  many of the
    public FTP servers now use pluggable authentiction modules that allow testing
    the user / pass against an SQL database. (Postgresql, MySql or many others)
    Even though the passwords are in clear text when seen on the wire, there is no
    real access to the system in this case as there is no "REAL" user corresponding
    to the account used for FTP access.

    I would recommend some reading from the documents for WU-FTPD, PROFTPD or
    others.  I personally use ProFTPd, and have found it to be easy to configure and
    use.  You may find some documentation that may be of interest on the following
    sites..

    ProFTPD
    http://proftpd.linux.co.uk/docs/

    WU-FTPD  How To Index