CRIME Meeting 10 June @ 10AM @Verizon

From: George Heuston (GeorgeH@private)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 09:16:14 PDT

    Folks,

    Mark your calendars for this one.  Great talk lined up!

    -----------

    Topic:  "Defcon Capture the Flag:  Defending Vulnerable Code from
    Intense Attack"

    Speaker: Crispin Cowen, WireX.  Dr. Cowan leads Immunix Technologies
    research and DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) projects
    for WireX. He holds a formerly full-time and continuing part-time
    research professor position with the Oregon Graduate Institute,
    Department of Computer Science and Engineering. Dr. Cowan has over
    fifteen years experience in UNIX/Linux OS platform and software
    technology. Dr. Cowan developed Immunix, a host security/survivability
    technology project for DARPA that includes prominent technologies like
    StackGuard. He holds a Ph.D. from the University of Western Ontario and
    a Masters of Mathematics from the University of Waterloo.

    Presentation Abstract: Defcon's Capture the Flag (CtF) game is the
    largest open computer security hacking game.  Last year's CtF had rules
    that made it particularly difficult to be a successful defender.  We
    entered an Immunix server, comprised of five years of DARPA-funded
    technologies, to see whether this system could survive sustained attack
    from determined experts.  We describe our experience surviving Defcon
    CtF.