RE: CRIME Port scanning from an ISP

From: Andrew Plato (aplato@private)
Date: Tue Jun 03 2003 - 20:03:56 PDT

    I am inclined to agree with this point. Its certainly a noisy and nosy
    way to do business.  However, port scans are not particularly dangerous
    and in this case, while they were excessive, they didn't quite meet the
    DoS level.

    Suffice to say, I haven't heard much from that ISP in a while. I blocked
    their scanner at my border so all they get back from us is silence.

    That much said, its still a dumb policy. As one person pointed out, a
    lot of the ports they were scanning do not have anything to do with open
    relays.

    ___________________________________
    Andrew Plato, CISSP
    President / Principal Consultant