Re: CRIME Privacy Vs Security

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Sun Jun 08 2003 - 14:52:30 PDT

    Shaun Savage wrote:

    > Senator Wyden fights for privacy!
    >
    > The question I ask the group is "At what point does security out weigh
    > the privacy and freedoms that America should offer?"

    IMHO, approximately never. The only purpose in compromising our freedoms
    is to preserve our freedoms from an external threat. This is almost
    never required, and almost always a mistake. And since the fall of the
    Soviet Union, there basically is no external threat to our freedoms,
    only to marginal amounts of property and small numbers of civilians.

    In no way what so ever are infringements on our liberties such as the
    odious PATRIOT act justified by the meagre threat imposed by Osama bin
    Laden and his shabby ilk.

    Crispin

    > http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/06/08/MN253740.DTL

    Wyden is way down at the bottom. Good for Wyden; glad to see him showing
    some backbone against the administrations ham-fisted grabs at our civil
    liberties.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.           http://immunix.com/~crispin/
    Chief Scientist, Immunix       http://immunix.com
                http://www.immunix.com/shop/