RE: [CRIME FW: Wireless Communications during disaster?]

From: Rocky Gregory (rocky@private)
Date: Fri Jun 06 2003 - 14:47:57 PDT

    One possibility, though limited in coverage and bandwidth is GPRS.  AT&T
    Wireless (my former employer) dedicates 2 channels to packet data.  Even
    when the voice channels are overwhelmed you can still send and receive
    data on the network.  I was actually using the legacy AT&T Wireless data
    network (CDPD) to MSN chat with a coworker in Seattle during the
    earthquake a few years ago when no one could make a cell phone calls.
    Again, coverage and bandwidth considerations would need to be analyzed.