CRIME Meeting 11 June @ 10AM @Verizon -2nd Call

From: George Heuston (geoneve@private)
Date: Sun Jun 08 2003 - 11:10:10 PDT

    Folks,

    Due to the need for Verizon to utilize the room on June 10th for
    internal meetings, we will slip the CRIME meeting date to Wednesday,
    June 11th, same time, same place.

    Thanks!

    Geo

    -----------

    Topic:  "Defcon Capture the Flag:  Defending Vulnerable Code from
    Intense Attack"

    Speaker: Crispin Cowen, WireX.  Dr. Cowan leads Immunix Technologies
    research and DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) projects
    for WireX. He holds a formerly full-time and continuing part-time
    research professor position with the Oregon Graduate Institute,
    Department of Computer Science and Engineering. Dr. Cowan has over
    fifteen years experience in UNIX/Linux OS platform and software
    technology. Dr. Cowan developed Immunix, a host security/survivability
    technology project for DARPA that includes prominent technologies like
    StackGuard. He holds a Ph.D. from the University of Western Ontario and
    a Masters of Mathematics from the University of Waterloo.

    Presentation Abstract: Defcon's Capture the Flag (CtF) game is the
    largest open computer security hacking game.  Last year's CtF had rules
    that made it particularly difficult to be a successful defender.  We
    entered an Immunix server, comprised of five years of DARPA-funded
    technologies, to see whether this system could survive sustained attack
    from determined experts.  We describe our experience surviving Defcon
    CtF.