RE: CRIME Privacy Vs Security

From: Dorning, Kevin E - DI-3 (kedorning@private)
Date: Tue Jun 10 2003 - 07:20:00 PDT

    This has been an excellent discussion so far.
    We have discovered that there is a difference between rights and priveleges, and that priveleges may be limited, or eliminated if the appropriate circumstances exist.  We, as guardians of both the rights of the people, and the rights of corporations and governments, are required to clearly define for out client communities, what are rights and what are priveleges.

    In the Federal sector, our user training and all our warning banners make it clear to employees and contractors that any information that is created, transmitted or stored on our systems (government systems) is the property of the government regardless of the nature of the content.  However, we do provide safeguards that keep other people from "peeking" at other peoples information, and from managers of other government officials looking at it without authorization.

    It is a delicate balance, and some times it is a real pain to manage.  But, it's worth the effort and the politics

    K.d>