RE: CRIME Senator Hatch - Destroy file swappers' computers

From: Christiansen, John (SEA) (JohnC@private)
Date: Wed Jun 18 2003 - 11:55:09 PDT

    I don't think this is funny at all. I have actually been doing some
    theoretical work on active defense (or "hack back") as a potentially
    legitimate response to some kinds of network-based threats. While I am not
    convinced it is necessarily proper (and am also not convinced it is
    necessarily improper, either), it is very clear it would need to be
    undertaken carefully, with a high degree of reliability in target
    identification and proportionality of response to risk, where other recourse
    is not reasonably possible. This kind of statement at best reflects a lack
    of thought about or insight into the issues, and at worst may be taken by
    irresponsible intellectual property claimants (or wannabes) as a license to
    do what they want.

    John R. Christiansen
    Preston | Gates | Ellis LLP
    *Direct: 206.370.8118
    *Cell: 206.683.9125
    Reader Advisory Notice: Internet email is inherently insecure. Message
    content may be subject to alteration, and email addresses may incorrectly
    identify the sender. If you wish to confirm the content of this message
    and/or the identity of the sender please contact me at one of the phone
    numbers given above. Secure messaging is available upon request and
    recommended for confidential or other sensitive communications.