RE: CRIME IDS is dead says Gartner

From: Andrew Plato (aplato@private)
Date: Tue Jun 24 2003 - 13:29:47 PDT

    The problem with your comments, Crispin, is that you consider basic packet
    inspection to be security analysis. I disagree. Most firewalls (Checkpoint,
    pix, netscreen, etc.) are packet filters. They look at communication
    information and apply access control lists based on some rules.

    This is no where near synonymous with an IPS which looks beyond the packet
    and analyzes the entire communication stream. Proxy-based firewalls
    (Sidewinder/Gauntlet and some variants) go part of the way there. They do
    application-layer rules. But the classic packet filter firewalls do not have
    that kind of ability.

    I see firewalls as essentially an access control point. To use an airport
    security analogy: firewalls control who gets on the plane and that's all.
    They don't look to see if the person is carrying a bomb. And IPS does both
    access control and looks in the person's luggage to see if there is any
    bombs in there.

    Consider the extremely basic problem of things like Code Red. Firewalls
    couldn't stop code red at all, unless port 80 was blocked. But since that
    would have killed the web sites of many companies - that wasn't really an
    option. Therefore, the firewall did nothing to prevent code red. But a
    host-IPS or network-IPS could have seen code red in the stream and dropped
    the offending packets and kept web access open.

    > How about we stop trying to classify them and just call them *all*
    > firewalls? Then we can just compare firewalls head to head on
    > features, performance, operational costs, security, etc.

    Then we're comparing CheckPoints to IntruVerts, Netscreens to RealSecure
    Guards - and that is a crummy comparison because they really are not the
    same types of products. An IntruVert is not anywhere near the same as a
    CheckPoint. A comparison between the two would be misleading. It would make
    CheckPoint look lame and Intruvert look outlandishly priced.

    As for your quadrants. You define anything that does merely access control
    as prevention. I disagree. Access control does not mean bad stuff can't get
    in. Merely blocking some communications at the perimeter does not make a
    network secure.  I would redefine your quadrants as hexants (is that a
    word):

    * Network
    	o Access control:
    		+ classic firewalls: Checkpoint, Netscreen,
           	  PIX, etc.
    		+ Router/VLAN ACLs
    	o Prevention:
    		+ NIPS: inline SNORT, IntruVert, ISS Guard,
    		  TopLayer Attack Mitigator, etc.
    		+ Application firewalls: Sidewinder, WatchGuard (sort of)
    	o Detection:
    		+ IDS: RealSecure, Snort/Sourcefire, ManHunt, etc.
    * Host
    	o Access control:
    		+ ACLs, token authentication, locks, passwords, etc.
    	o Prevention:
    		+ Behavior HIPS: Okena, Entercept
    		+ Signature HIPS: RS Desktop/Server, Sygate
    		+ Secure OS: Immunix, a Windows box with no power ;-), etc.
    	o Detection:
    		+ Integrity monitors: Tripwire, etc.

    And I would say best practices would be to try to have something at every
    level.

    ___________________________________
    Andrew Plato, CISSP
    President / Principal Consultant